Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Preparation is Everything!

Week 2 of the Whole30 Challenge has begun. My general plan is to do cooking and planning on the weekend for the coming week. This week I made a yummy paleo chili to have for lunches. When that runs out I'll have salad with tuna.

Since my husband and I are worlds apart when it comes to our eating habits I also have to plan for his meals (especially now that daylight savings time is here and I'll be doing my weekday runs after work).

Tomorrow I will make a roasted chicken w/ carrots and potatoes, then on Tuesday I'll do a beef stew in the crock pot while I'm at work. That should give him enough leftovers to get by for the week.

I doubt there is anything terribly special about this chili recipe, but I'll share it none the less. It's quite tasty.

Paleo Chili (serves 6)

1lb grass-fed ground beef (or ground meat of your choice)
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
4 oz sliced mushrooms, chopped
3 carrots, diced
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, diced (seeds and ribs removed)
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes (no salt or sugar added)
1 15oz can tomato sauce (no sugar or salt added)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
chili powder to taste
your favorite Mexican seasoning to taste
cayenne powder to taste
salt/pepper to taste

In a large pot, add enough oil to coat the bottom and add all the chopped veggies and the garlic. Cook for approx. 4 minutes over medium heat until just past raw. Remove the veggies and set aside. Add ground meat (and more oil if needed), brown the meat, add the spices, tomatoes, and sauce. I like my chili pretty spicy so I used about 2 Tbsp of a local Mexican spice mix from Common Folk Farm, as well as about 1 Tbsp chili powder, and 1/2 Tbsp cayenne pepper. Mix the meat and tomato sauce mixture, add the veggies back in and simmer for 20 minutes.

It gets better with time, so the next day it'll be even more fabulous!

If you try this recipe let me know how you like it!

No comments: