Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

Midway Check-in

So I am at the midway mark of my Whole30 Challenge and I am a believer! I know they suggest that you DON'T weigh yourself for the entire challenge, but being a slave to the scale (I AM working on that), I just had to check my progress. All I can say is WOW! I am 9.5lbs down... in TWO WEEKS! Besides that nice weight loss I have also noticed that my blood sugar has stabilized, I no longer get head spins, dizziness, intense sugar cravings, or sluggishness in the afternoons. I also hardly ever snack anymore, I just don't need to. I find that my breakfast (usually eggs and bacon/chicken sausage, or a veggie omelet) holds me just fine until lunch. Lunch usually consists of a small serving of fruit, a side salad with sunflower seeds and avocado dressed EVOO and red wine vinegar, and leftovers of some sort (this week is was paleo chili with lots of veggies added in). There are a few days a week that I don't get home until 7 pm, and even on those day I find my lunch holds me through until dinner. Sometimes I'm not even very hungry at night, so I just have a fruit smoothie. The reduction in my appetite has been mind-boggling. I'm eating a LOT more fat that I used to in the form of avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, grass-fed meats, and nuts/seeds. I've also learned that coconut oil is practically a miracle oil. I use it on my hands and my nails and cuticles have never been healthier, I use it on my face and my seasonal eczema is totally under control and my monthly blemish is gone! I also use a little as a leave-in conditioner for my hair and it's nice and soft and shiny. Seriously, if someone told me this stuff cured cancer, I wouldn't doubt it. Other things I've noticed since my Whole30 started is that I have fewer aches and pains in my joints, and more energy. I was a little worried I messed my Whole30 reset up because I got a cold/sinus infection right at the start of it and was drinking OJ (which I never drink) and taking cough syrup and cough drops (both which have added sugar in them) to get over my cold. But I could tell my clothes were fitting better, so I just HAD to check my progress. It's just amazing to me to see and feel the difference so quickly. I'd given up sugar about a month before I started this challenge, but I noticed I was craving other things that negatively affect my insulin (like dairy and grains) so I wasn't feeling or seeing any benefit from just giving up added sugars. I had to address ALL the stuff that creates a strong insulin response. I think that was the key for me.
I'm excited to continue on with my Whole30 Challenge and my new Whole30 nutritional framework for the future. I don't plan on changing much after my 30 days. I will allow myself 1 non-Whole30 meal/treat per week if I want it.

No comments: