Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Who's Representing?!



I'm not one to write to my representatives/senators unless it's something that is super important to me. The GMO labeling bill is such an issue, so I wrote an email to my 2 representatives (one is a democrat one is a republican). I sent the EXACT same email. These were the responses I received... can you guess which response belongs to each?
Email: I am writing to you to URGE you to support the bill “An Act to Protect Maine Food Consumers Right to Know”. As I am sure you are aware, GMOs (genetically modified organisms) are gaining a strong foothold in our food system and are present, in some form, in 80% of foods (mostly in the form of GMO corn products). The long term effects of these franken-foods are unknown. Help give Mainers the ability to make an INFORMED decision regarding their food choices by requiring disclosure of foods that are GMO or contain GMOs. I cannot even begin to express to you how important this issue is, not only to our food ...security, but also to our health, and environment. WE NEED TO KNOW!

Respectfully, 
Tara

Response #1: Dear Tara,
Thanks for sharing your concerns and thoughts with me. Yesterday I signed on to Rep. Harvell's bill on GMO labeling; the bill is being promoted by Maine Organic Farmer's and Gardeners Association (MOFGA). I expect it will have strong bi-partisan support. If you would like to be on my email newsletter list I will add your name and it will allow you to keep up to date on issues such as this one. Please reply to this email with your permission to be added to that list.
I appreciate you taking the time to contact me.
Best,
Name of Rep

Response #2: Thanks. Name of Rep.
 
 
 



No comments: