Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Project: Food Budget Week 2


Wow, week 2 is in the books and it wasn't pretty. The grand total for the week came to $141.05. A couple high ticket items contributed to the costs, including:

toilet paper $7.99 (12 pack)
shrimp $5.99 (for a 1 lb. bag of raw frozen shell-on shrimp)

There were also a few items needed to restock the pantry:

vanilla extract $3.05
olive oil cooking spray $2.59

Then there is the big issue. I buy more food than we eat in a week. Of the items we bought last week (which were supposedly for last week's dinner menus) several are yet to be eaten:

3 soy yogurts $.80 each ($2.40)
spinach and cheese ravioli (frozen) $1.99
a red onion $0.72
a head of cauliflower $2.49
organic portobello mushroom caps $3.29
mini sweet peppers $1.99

That is a total of $12.88 unnecessarily spent last week. I also had to run to the store twice during the week to pick up items that I'd forgotten to put on the list (including a few ingredients for a recipe I brought to a potluck for work).

What did I learn from this week? LOOK IN THE REFRIGERATOR, FREEZER, AND CUPBOARD WHEN PLANNING YOUR MENU! Had I done that I would have realized I had ingredients for at least two dinners. Lesson learned.

I have no doubt next week's grocery bill will be much less due, in part, to the fact that we'll be in NYC for the NFL Draft from Friday through Sunday. Aside from being UBER excited to go to NYC for the first time (not including driving through in the middle of the night while driving back from NC), I am really excited to take a run in Central Park!! At least that is my plan for Saturday:)

Have you been making any changes to your grocery shopping habits? How is it going? I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: